Start a new topic

Puzzle (Kraftplex/Paper)

Material: Kraftplex 0.8mm with paper glued on
File: SVG
Settings: Intensity 100%, Speed 200, 10 passes
Additional software: Inkskape with Laser Jigsaw plugin
Additional Hardware: Epson SureColor P600 Photo Inkjet

I have been experimenting with different materials for the carrier (poplar plywood, kraftplex, cardboard) and various papers for the print (normal, glossy with different weights). I finally settled for the combination of 0.8mm kraftplex with normal paper glued onto the carrier with spray glue.

I used my Epson SC P600 photo ink jet to print out a A3 picture which I printed out on normal paper. Using Tesa spray glue on the kraftplex only, I glued the photo to the 0.8mm kraftplex and let it dry for a few minutes.

Using the laser jigsaw plugin for Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/de/~Neon22/%E2%98%85lasercut-jigsaw), I created a puzzle where the tiles are roughly 2x2 cm (20 columns, 14 rows). I placed the material with the photo on the bottom to cut the pieces from the back and changed the default kraftplex settings to a higher speed (200 instead of 110), resulting in cleaner cuts. I compensated that by increasing the number of passes from 2 to 10. Before doing the final A3 puzzle, I did a lot of test runs with small pieces (see tests below).

Tests:

- Speed 200, 10 passes, glossy paper on poplar plywood, 4mm, wood on top: Paper not cut

- Speed 200, 30 passes, glossy paper on poplar plywood 4mm, wood on top: Paper not cut

- Speed 200, 12 passes, nmormal paper on poplar plywood 4mm, wood on top: Slightly brown edges on the wood, paper looks good, Pieces are too heavy for my taste

- Speed 110 (default) 2 passes, glossy paper on kraftplex, paper on top: brown edges on the paper, not 100% cut

- Speed 110, 4 passes, glossy paper on kraftplex, kraftplex on top: Paper not clearly cut, brown edges on kraftplex

- Speed 200, 10 passes, glossy paper on kraftplex, kraftplex on top: Paper not cleanly cut, minimal brown edges.

- Speed 200, 10 passes, normal paper on kraftplex, kraftplex on top: Paper cleanly cut, brown edges on kraftplex but ont on paper

3 people like this idea
1 Comment

Nice!

Login or Signup to post a comment